Monday, December 15, 2014

End of the Road

Devils Slide 2014, acrylic on canvas 12”x4”, 2004

For many years I have included empty roads in my landscapes – it’s the type of view I often have on many road trips.  One road I have driven countless times is Route One between San Francisco and Santa Cruz.  This particular vista was the stretch of road known as Devil’s Slide.  It is on the way back to San Francisco just before reaching Pacifica.  In wet winters, portions of the road have slid down the side of the mountain into the Pacific and closed the road for weeks and even months at a time.  The road now is bypassed by a Tunnel and closed to traffic. 
Recycling and repurposing has been an ongoing theme in my collage work for years.   This small landscape (above) makes me feel it’s all coming together.  This closed and now repurposed stretch of road has been redone and is only opened to pedestrians and bicyclists.   As the year ends, it’s the end of the road but still a new beginning for the road…

No comments:

Post a Comment