Monday, October 13, 2014

Moon over Yerba Buena

One evening last week, a few nights after the Full Moon, when it was just beginning to wane, I saw an amazing moonrise from a deck on Telegraph Hill.  The moon was like a big, golden, flaky biscuit as it glowed through the fog and rose dramatically over Yerba Buena Island in the middle of San Francisco Bay.

Coincidentally (or perhaps not), on Saturday I found this piece of mail art from E. Coles in Wales waiting for me in my P.O. Box.  She clearly was channeling some San Francisco energy when she did this one.  And what I also love is its simplicity.  Collage is not as easy as it looks, and sometimes the simplest collages are the hardest to get right.  A simple collage can show when an artist is truly skilled with color and composition – this one is a good example of when it works.   It arrived untitled –  we’ll call it Moon over Yerba Buena Island. 

No comments:

Post a Comment