Thursday, July 17, 2014

New Mexico Love Stories


It’s been a while since I have curated a show and 15 years since I have exhibited with Karen.  One of my earliest forays into curation was an installation of four artists in an empty San Francisco Victorian – four rooms/four artists including Karen and myself.  After many years in the City, Karen returned to her home in a small, New Mexico village.  I am pleased to be bringing her work back to San Francisco. 

In spite of any “expert” who declares painting’s demise, Karen’s work is always a reminder that painting is alive and well and here to stay.  She comes from a long line of distinguished painters who capture the New Mexico landscape in a way that only a skilled artist really can.  And while I appreciate and admire photography, New Mexico is usually best rendered in paint.   Karen’s latest series of New Mexico Love Stories reminds me that painting is to photography as poetry is to a guidebook.  

I am delighted that some work from this new series will be included in Collage meets Landscape.



The Collage + Landscape = Collagescape will be on view at San Francisco’s Glama-Rama Salon and Gallery at 304 Valencia Street in San Francisco.
The show runs from July 29 to September 28, 2014 with an opening reception on Friday, August 1 (7pm to 10 pm).
The exhibit will have two components:
On the main level, there will be an exhibit of my new series of work called Collagescapes.

On the upper level of Glama-Rama, I am curating a companion show of mixed media works, where the theme will be Collage meets Landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment