Thursday, July 10, 2014

Mike Kabler


When I started reviewing Mike’s work I had to make some tough curatorial choices.  I was immediately drawn to his colorful collages.  I am never one to shy away from color.  But for Collage meets Landscape, one of Mike’s Garden Series seemed the ideal choice.   The paper collages with crisp black and white pieces contrasting with just hints of primary colors, give a hint to Mike’s lifelong love of Piet Mondrian.  And as a curator, I want to make sure every artist’s work plays well off of each other’s.  Hopefully I can also make a selection for each artist that will stand out.  With tweleve artists participating in the show, I want them each of us to have their own spotlight. 

You can see more of Mike’s work, including those very colorful collage pieces on his website.  And if you head over to the East Bay, Mike is curating a show titled “It came from Oakland” at Glama Rama’s new Oakland location through August 3rd. 




The Collage + Landscape = Collagescape will be on view at San Francisco’s Glama-Rama Salon and Gallery at 304 Valencia Street in San Francisco.
The show runs from July 29 to September 28, 2014 with an opening reception on Friday, August 1 (7pm to 10 pm).
The exhibit will have two components:
On the main level, there will be an exhibit of my new series of work called Collagescapes.
On the upper level of Glama-Rama, I am curating a companion show of mixed media works, where the theme will be Collage meets Landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment